In June 1870, a group of men left Sessions Settlement, later called Bountiful, seeking a locality for a new settlement. Traveling through Bear Lake Valley to Randolph, they were told that ten miles south was a good place to settle as it had water, beaver, mountain trout, herds of elk, deer and antelope, sage hens, and an abundance of wild fruit. The location was called Twelve Mile Creek. The following May the townsite was surveyed by Joseph C. Rich with homes located in a systematic pattern. It was decided to give it the name of Woodruff in honor of Wilford Woodruff who made frequent trips through the area. Here sixteen families spent the winter of 1871-1872.
Woodruff was a typical pioneer community with hardworking people of moderate means. It was settled by men and women who had trades and special skills that helped them to build the buildings, survey the land and care for the sick. Joseph H. Neville was one of the great builders, operating the brick-yard and responsible for brick buildings in the area. William Henry Lee was the first bishop. Wesley K. Walton was the first schoolteacher with thirty scholars. Bert D. Brown was the first mayor.
The text on this page is from Daughters of Utah Pioneers historic marker #456, located at 195 South Main Street in Woodruff, Utah