Pickelville was a small town located near the western shore of Bear Lake in Rich County. It is now part of Garden City.
The town of Pickelville was originally founded in 1879, about 3 miles south of Garden City. Incorporated in 1935, the town was named for Charles C. Pickel, who is said to have been either an engineer who supervised the town’s culinary water project, or a federal government official who helped secure funding for the project from the Public Works Administration. To further expand the water system, Pickelville merged with Garden City in 1979.
Since 1916, the Pickelville area has been home to the Ideal Beach Amusement Company. The Pickleville Playhouse, a community musical theater, has been in business since 1977, performing a melodrama and a Broadway-style show every summer.
Several of my favorite things, a state corner (Utah/Idaho/Wyoming), a benchmark, and a coordinate confluence (a couple miles east, where the corner was “supposed” to be.
It was a bumpy Jeep ride to the corner, and a gorgeous day out there. It was really easy to find the way from the Highway in Wyoming.
The Bridgerland travel region is in the northeast corner of Utah which borders the states of Idaho and Wyoming. It includes the counties of Cache and Rich, as well as the Cache Valley, Bear Lake and much of the Wasatch-Cache National Forest. Bridgerland gets its name from Jim Bridger, a famous mountain-man.
Garden City is a town in Rich County, Utah, United States. The population was 562 at the 2010 census. Garden City sits on the shores of Bear Lake and is a popular summer resort destination town.
Garden City was first settled in 1877 and an LDS branch was formed there at that time. Two years later the town had grown into a ward. In 1979, it merged with the neighboring town of Pickelville.
in 1903 Horatio Nelson Jackson and Sewall Crocker stopped in Garden City on the first automobile journey across the Untied States.
Click here to see the other places in Utah.
Randolph lies in the shadow of the Crawford Mountains against the western foothills of the Upper Bear River between two creeks, Big Creek on the south and Little Creek on the north. In answer to a call from the general authorities of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Randolph H. Stewart and others arrived in the Bear River Valley March, 1870. One week later, Apostle Charles C. Rich and Company came. They surveyed the town and named it Randolph, in honor of the first Bishop, Randolph H. Stewart. Many others soon followed and by the spring of 1871 Randolph was a thriving town, having established a post office, store, blacksmith shop and sawmill. These early settlers were men and women with courage and fortitude ready to brave the severe climate and hardships. Progression has continued with the coming of electricity, the water system, modern communications and transportation. From the one-room schoolhouse, education continues with the latest technology and modern facilities. The cattle and sheep industries have sustained many families throughout the years. The stately tabernacle, dedicated July 26, 1914, depicts the faith of the early settlers. This devotion is evident today as men and women serve missions throughout the world. As the need to defend our freedom has arisen. many have responded to the call of our country … some having made the supreme sacrifice.
We salute those who have contributed to the development of this community. They are men and women of foresight and dedication … all desiring to establish an abundant life for now as well as for future generations!
On the 14th of March, 1870, the first settlers came into this valley, responding to a call from the general authorities of the Church of Jesus Crist of Latter-day Saints. Coming from St. Charles, Idaho, where: Randolph H. Stewart, Robert and Charles Pope, Edwin T. Pope, William Pearce and others. One week later, March 21st, Apostle Charles C. Rich and Company arrived. They located the town using a rope as a surveyors chain, and laid it off in 10 acres to a block with 8 lots in each. The town was named Randolph, in honor of it’s first bishop, Randolph H. Stewart. Many others soon came, including: Levi O. Pead, William Howard Jr., Mrs. Agnes Smith, Samuel Henderson, Alfred G. and William Rex, John Cameron, Samuel Brough, William Tyson and Archibald McKinnon, Sr. They continued to come with a spirit of hope, not seeking wealth, but responding to a call wanting only a peaceful, progressive way of life. To a great extent, the town has revolved around the church. A log building was completed, serving as a place of worship, school house and amusement center. However, an adobe building soon replaced this small structure as the men became tired of having to stand outside waiting a turn to dance. The spring of 1871 found Randolph a thriving town. The tall sage was being grubbed, making more space for the lush, wild prarie grass to grow. Canals and ditches were surveyed and dug. Timber in near-by canyons, water and grazing were abundant. Streams abounded with fish and the wild game was plentiful. A post office, store, blacksmith and saw mill were soon established. In August, 1883, President John Taylor visited Randolph for a conference. After the services were dismissed, and many had departed, President Taylor called them back. Raising his right hand he said, “In the name of Jesus Christ, I not only bless you, but I bless this land for your sustenance.” Many significant changes were made during the next century. Sacrifice, hard work and united effort built the beautiful brick tabernacle. With the coming of electricity, modern communications and transportation, progress has been made. Powerful machinery now subdues the land producing bounteous hay and grain crops. Modern schools have long replaced the first small one-room building. A few of the family names which are woven into the early settling of Randolph not before mentioned are: Brown, Corless, Evans, Gray, Gunn, Hatch, Hoffman, Jackson, Jacobson, Johnson, Jones, Kennedy, Buir, Nicholls, Norris, Peart, Smith, Snowball, South, Spencer, Telford, Wilson and others. Fond memories were relived at the Randolph Centennial Celebration in 1970. Hundreds have responded to missionary calls throughout the world, as well as military service to our country. Many brave souls have paid the supreme sacrifice for the preservation of our freedom. Still thrives essential goodness in the hearts of it’s people. Through triumphs and discouragements have come significant contributions of work, faith and human compassion which compells us to continually move forward.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup