In 1852 Elisha H. Groves, John D. Lee and others built a fort on Ash Creek, called Harmony. The fort was abandoned in 1854 and a new site located called Fort Harmony. Following disastrous floods in 1862 settlers again moved and established New Harmony where the first log school house was built in 1863. Through community effort a frame structure was erected. For nearly a century the bell atop this building called citizens to church, school and all other public gatherings. Wilson D. Pace served as first Bishop.
Other DUP Markers are listed at JacobBarlow.com/dup