In 1860 thirteen Latter-day Saint families settled Round Valley. Brigham Young visited them in May, 1863, and advised, because of Indians, they move their settlement away from the mountain area. He accompanied the men to the center of the valley, laid out the townsite, designated the location for a public square and center of town, and named it Scipio. A log room was built, which served for church, school, and public meetings. In 1869 an L.D.S. ward was organized with Daniel Thompson as first Bishop. The bell on top of this monument was used to call the people together.