Erected 1869 by the first pioneers who settled in Tooele City with Bishop John Rowberry in charge of construction, George Atkin, Superintendent of Work, and Richard and William Kennington, Davd Adamson, John Pickett, James Hammond and Edward Broad, active in constrution work. Rock used was taken from the mouth of Settlement Canyon. The Church was dedicated by Daniel H. Wells, accompanied by President Brigham Young, John Taylor, Orson Pratt and Wilford Woodruff, on April 29, 1870. The building was remodeled in 1918. (Small plaque below) From the tower of the first Toele Valley chapel, which stood on this site, the bell atop the monument served the people for 39 years. Construction began in 1854, finished in 1869, and demolished in 1968.