In the spring of 1879 a group of pioneers from Bear Lake settled here. Moses Thatcher explored the area, dedicated it as a home for the Latter Day Saints, calling it Star Valley. Freedom and Auburn settled in 1879 and Afton in 1885. The first public building was located on this square. A log house with dirt roof served the settlers as a church, school, and public meeting place from 1886 to 1892 when it was replaced by a large frame building. The bell on this monument calling the people together could be heard throughout the valley.