Daughters of Utah Pioneers Marker #196 – Early Schools
The first settlers arrived here in 1851. A one-room building was erected and used for Church and School purposes in 1852. George Spencer and his wife were teachers. In 1855 a schoolhouse was erected inside the fort and early teachers were: Martha Hayward, Thomas Ord, Andrew Love, Mary Ellen Love, John Chapman, Amy Bigler, Martha Shofield. Later school was held in the Social Hall, and in 1894 Central School was completed. The bell on this marker was installed and used as curfew and to call the children to school.