In 1863 settlers on the upper Virgin River whose lands were being washed away, made preliminary surveys for irrigating and occupying these lands. Erastus Snow, David H. Cannon and Nephi Johnson came down the hill over an old Indian trail, with a heavy buggy drawn by mules, using ropes to keep it from tipping. A whirlwind took the top off the buggy. Erastus Snow exclaimed, “Well, that was a hurricane. We’ll name this Hurricane Hill.” The fault, bench and town were named from this event.
See other D.U.P. Markers here.