Built in the 1850’s as a protection and make work project, was 8 ft. high, thirty inches thick at the base, receding to about twelve at the top. Built of cobble-stones abounding nearby and laid in lime and sand mortar. The wall extended from Eagle Gate east to what is now “A” Street, north to 4th Ave., west to and along property line of Canyon Road to State Street and Eagle Gate, enclosing orchard and garden, ice house, barn and private schoolhouse.
Brigham Young’s Garden Wall was built in the 1850s as a protection and a “make work” project.
The wall was eight feet high and thirty inches thick at the base. The wall receded to about twelve inches at the top. Using the surrounding resources, the builders constructed the wall from local cobblestone and help it together with sand mortar.
The wall extended from Eagle Gate east to what is now “A” street. The wall then ran north to 4th Avenue, and then west along Brigham Young’s property line which followed the modern-day Canyon Road to State Street and Eagle Gate. The wall enclosed Brigham Young’s orchard and garden, ice house, barn, and private schoolhouse.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup