This ten-acre block served as camping ground for immigrant trains. The vanguard of the first band of pioneers pitched their tents here, July 23, 1847, at which time their leader, Orson Pratt, dedicated the land. Later it became the focal point for semi-annual cattle drives. Was used for hay market, baseball grounds, carnivals, medicine shows, skating rink and circus performances. In pioneer days it was called Washington Square and Emigration Square; later it was known as the Eighth Ward Square.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup