In 1859, a small group from Mt. Pleasant laid out a townsite here called North Bend. Later the name was changed to Fairview. During the winter rock was quarried and hauled to build a fort, and in 1860 walls of three sides were finished; the other side was made by the backs of log houses abutting at the end. Portholes in top walls were for watcher. Inside the fort were rows of houses, a tithing office, and a schoolhouse which also served as church. James N. Jones was presiding Elder. In 1868 Fairview was made an L.D.S. Ward with Amasa Tucker as Bishop.