Just outside Mount Pleasant, Utah is this home that is sinking and falling apart. I stopped by to document it before it is someday gone.
“These are the mill stones from the first grist mill in this area”
It was built in 1863 by Elam Cheney, Sr. a pioneer of 1847. At the request of President Brigham Young he quarried & shaped the stones & moved them & his family to Fairview where he also blacksmithed the iron & carpentered the wood.
The stones were turned by an overshot water wheel with water from the Sanpitch River.
– By the Cheney Family Association – 1965
Mountainville was settled in 1882, officially named in 1906 but has since faded from being a separate community and is now just the area between Fairview and Mount Pleasant.
Some of the first missionaries from Mountainville were George Stansforth, Allen Rowe, Richard Brown, William L. Shelley, William Keith Brown, John Mason Burnside, David A. Shelley, John Bell, Mitchell Burnside, June Shelley and Betty Shelley.
In the 1880s a small log church was built and the Relief Society was organized.
There are some great photos on these pages:
The Niels P. Hjort house is architecturally significant as an example of a modified temple-form, gable-facade cross-wing type, which was one of the basic residential building types implemented by early Utah settlers. The vernacular classical design of the house, with subtle Greek Revival influence and stone construction, is in many ways typical of early Sanpete Valley dwellings, where oolite limestone was a common building material. This particular type of limestone was used not only in swellings but in larger commercial, public, and religious buildings including there prominent Manti LDS Temple. It was even exported for out-of-state construction projects.
Sanpete Valley had an ethnically diverse population, drawing immigrants from all parts of northern Europe. Neils P. Hjort, as a Norwegian immigrant, was a member of the Scandinavian population in the valley. Although some Scandinavian immigrants constructed houses after the traditions of their homelands, Hjort, perhaps feeling the need to acculurate with other Mormon converts, chose to build his house in a traditional American form.
A cool city park, themed after the fort that used to be in its location in Fairview, Utah.
The plaque outside the park says:
Iven R. Cox
May 8, 1914 – November 13, 1992
His life was dedicated to his fellow man and woman. Fairview is brighter and better because of his service. We honor his incolvement in many civic projects and business endeavors including:
- Fairview Lions Club
- Central Utah Telephone
- Sons of the Utah Pioneers
- Far West Bank
- Boys Scouts of America
- Fairview Senior Citizens
- Fair Fount Frederal Credit Union
With his example of hard work, he exemplified that challenges are not limiting. Respectfully we dedicate this park and monument to his memory.
The Fairview Museum of History and Art
Home of the National Shrine to Love and Devotion
This page is documenting the exterior of the museum, see the link below to see the interior.
The museum consists of 2 main buildings: the 115+ year old, former school, Heritage building which contains historical collections and the works of world renown sculptor Dr. Avard T Fairbanks, and the more contemporary Horizon building which houses regional art, the Colombian Mammoth (named Spirit), historical displays, Clark Bronson bronze collection and other services.(*)
The Fairview Amusement Hall, built c.1927, is significant under Criterion A as the primary social meeting place in the small central Utah town of Fairview. The Amusement Hall is built around the original dance floor of the Eclipse Pavilion, which was constructed in 1895. Theater, music, and social dancing were popular activities in early Mormon settlements of Utah where several miles often separated isolated communities. The Fairview Amusement Hall is the only remaining such building in town and one of very few remaining in the state. The Fairview Amusement Hall has been in continual use since its construction and is still used for dances and other social events. The building retains its architectural integrity and is one of a number of contributing historic buildings along Fairview’s Main Street.
About 1878, a social hall was erected. This building had a good dance floor and stage and served as amusement hall for the people until the summer of 1899, when it was destroyed by fire. However, before this time, in the year 1895, a new dance hall known as the Eclipse Pavilion was built. After the social hall burned, a stage was put in the Eclipse Pavilion, and this served as both dance hall and opera house until 1927, when it was replaced by the current amusement hall. However, the floor of the Eclipse was retained in the new amusement hall.
The group who built the Eclipse purchased the land from Joseph Wing. The 1/4-inch quarter-sawn oak flooring was ordered from a Mr. Jex in Spanish Fork, Utah. The building was 108 feet long and 50 feet wide. A Confectionary and ice cream parlor were built at the west end. The Post Office was also in the building part of the time. The Eclipse was sold in 1907 to Lindsay Brady who sold it to the Mormon Church in January 1910. It continued to be used as a community center and dance hall. In June 1921 the Fairview Ward was divided into two wards and Allie Carlston, a builder/contractor, was “chosen to manage the Pavilion or the Eclipse Dance Hall as it was called then… As manager, the debt was paid off and.. .a sinking fund accumulated.”
At that point, Allie Carlston received permission to replace the building if he could find a way to pay for it. He visited LDS Church President Heber J. Grant and explained that they had a community firetrap as an amusement hall in Fairview and that they had plans to demolish it and build a brick structure around the present floor since it was in perfect condition. They would build the brick walls then demolish the remaining portion of the old building after the new one was completed. Arrangements were then made to go forward with this plan. Carlston supervised the job and Oscar Amudsen did the brick work with his son, Whit, helping on the interior layer of adobe brick. The new Amusement Hall was completed c.1927 and the two wards appointed a manager for the Amusement Hall and continued to oversee it. The LDS Church first approached the city about taking over the Amusement Hall in 1968. It was finally deeded to the city October 5, 1982, on a restricted deed that continued the no drinking or smoking policy that had been established in 1896 along with tenets of the LDS Church.
The Amusement Hall is located at 65 S State St.
The Amusement Hall has always been a very important part of Fairview Social Life. It has been used for many various events over the years. People came from far around to the regular and special-occasion dances. The young men herding sheep and cattle on the mountain would come down to the dances. People from Snow College in Ephraim (approximately twenty miles to the south) and the Brigham Young University (approximately fifty miles to the north) joined with the locals as well; the railroad that ran through Sanpete Valley was convenient transportation.
A church missionary farewell or homecoming called for a dance. Many courtships started and continued in the Amusement Hall. Young married couples went to the dance for their night out. Wedding anniversaries, ninetieth birthdays and other special events have used the Amusement Hall for family and friends. Old folks’ dinners and reunions were and still are held here. Theatrical presentations found a place for performance as well. Wednesday was roller skating night for many years beginning in the early 1950s. Dance Classes and wrestling instruction have provided youth entertainment and knowledge and craft shows are also a popular event. Santa Claus still visits every year, and civic meetings are still held here. Although the popularity of individual events has varied over years, the Fairview Amusement Hall retains its place in the memories and current lives of Sanpete residents.