Rodger’s Dairy Freeze is a bit of an iconic sight in Mt Pleasant, Utah.
It has been at the corner of State and Main, right in the middle of town for nearly 70 years. The L.U. Mumford family built it, there have been several owners – most recently Rodger and Jenni Johansen.
Adolph and Hyrum Merz learned how to carve stone monuments Switzerland and made the cemetery fountain for Mt Pleasant, Utah.
It was made to look like a tree stump and was very detailed. They did it free of charge for their community and it was admired by many. It was later moved from the cemetery to the front yard of the Relic Home.
The plaque on the fountain says:
This water fountain carved in stone from the hills north of Moroni, Utah was made by Hyrum and Adolph Merz and presented by them to the City of Mt. Pleasant, Utah in 1901.
Constructed c. 1910 for James Simpson, the walls of this double-cross-wing, symmetrical home are three bricks thick. Its facade eclectically combines classical formalism and details, though it is neither fully Neo-classical nor entirely Victorian.
Builders Brandt and Jacobsen used a cement foundation filled with rock, the first in Mt. Pleasant. Locals stood around watching and speculating that it would never last, but today no cracks can be found. The second story is unfinished; the front is unchanged, except for replacing doors on the front porch with windows.
Mr. Simpson died in 1918 during the flu epidemic. Local residents, fearing the ravages of the flu, wanted nothing to do with anything that had come in contact with the disease. Simpson’s body was passed from the back bedroom through the window and laid out on the front lawn, then placed in a coffin and the lid nailed shut. Just at this time, James Monsen was passing by. Unafraid, he went into the house, took Simpson’s nine-year-old daughter Dorothy on his lap and comforted her by explaining what was happening.
In 1932 Willis N. and Louise F. Madsen Purchased the house from Simpson’s daughter Eva and added a screen porch to the back. After Willis’ death in 1932, Louise married Justus O. Seely, then the mayor of Mt. Pleasant.(*)
Built by Architects Niels P. Larsen and G.W. Brand. This building was in bad need of repair and has now had a significant face lift and is a Military memorial. The building was being used as a community recreation center, but the property was in terrible shape.
With the help of a federal grant and professional artists Bryan Spencer, Dean Kleven, and Jason Quinn, the armory now displays a larger-than-life mural of seven U.S. soldiers.(*)