In 1872 Meltiar Hatch settled at the head of Sevier River, near the junction of Mammoth and Asay creeks. He engaged in stock raising and operated a water-power sawmill. Soon other settlers came. Land was surveyed and irrigation ditches dug. Lime was burned by Neils P. Clove. First school was in the Hatch home, Abram Workman teacher. 1888 the Asay post office was transferred to Hatch, Neils Ivor Clove, Postmaster. In 1892 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints organized Mammoth Ward, Aaron Asay, Bishop. 1899
the Ward name was changed to Hatch. 1901 to 1904 the town was moved to the present site under the leadership of Bishop Rosmus Lynn.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup