In 1882, on this site, a Relief Society building was erected under the leadership of Elizabeth J. Stickney, President. It was a one room structure, 20 x 30 feet in size, built of red clay brick made by Joseph Chatwin. The interior was furnished with homemade carpet, a pot belly stove, chairs and benches made of native lumber, an organ and a small table. At one end was a stage with curtains. July 10, 1942, the building was sold to the city for a public library and was later known as the civic center. It toppled to the ground in May, 1963. This old fort and school bell served the community until 1917. It rang for school, alarms, and special events.