In 1868 William D. Startup brought across the plains the tools of candymaking: scales, iron edging bars, drop machine, shears and hooks. After pursuing his profession in Salt Lake City, he moved to Provo and built the first candy factory in 1875. Following his death, 1878, his widow, Hagar, continued the business for ten years. In 1895 her sons William, Walter and George became owners. The original machinery is preserved at the present factory.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup