The pioneers who settled what is now Layton, Utah, established a fort in 1854-55 on the road then called Little Fort Lane. This road extended from Five Points, north to Little Fort and joined the Kays Creek roads from the east.
In those years the families of Billa Dickson, John Green, William Lindsey, Mark and Pratt Whitesides, and the Shipley and Croft families, lived in “The Little Fort.” It was given this name because a large fort had already been established in the center of Kaysville.
This little fort, to protect the people from the Indians, was built on the south bank of Kays Creek overlooking the sandridge road from the Morris Town Hill. The fort served mainly as a lookout point on the Indian camp area. Friendly Indians lived along the hollow.
Little Fort was built in the shape of a square with the houses forming the outside walls which were built of rock, dried mud and mortar. Vegetable gardens which provided necessary food were raised in the center court of this fort and were tended for several years after the fort was abandoned. One cabin that was moved from Little Fort can still be found at 400 North Fort Lane, near the Layton High School. This cabin had a single room and a saddle-notched construction.
Located at Layton Commons Park at 437 N Wasatch Drive in Layton, Utah
Pingback: Layton, Utah | JacobBarlow.com