This log cabin was used as the first Post Office in Salem. It was built on the east bank of the Salem Pond by George Killiam, who served as postmaster from March 1, 1872 to 1877. Harry Nelson then purchased the cabin, moved it to the southeast part of Salem, and used if for a summer home. It was later sold to Chris Nelson, his brother, whose children played there until 1937, when it was purchased by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers. The cabin was next moved to a location northwest of the chapel of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. On March 19, 1972, the cabin was moved to the southwest corner of the church lot when a new LDS Chapel was built. It has now been moved to the west bank of the Salem Pond at 13 South 300 West, renovated and furnished with pioneer artifacts.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup