Just north of 7200 South street, on the west side of State Street, stood Travelers’ Rest, or Traders’ Rest, the first pony express station out of Salt Lake City. This station was probably used only for a short time, and no evidence of its existence can be found at the site. The location is marked by a granite marker placed by the Pony Express Trail Association.
Richard F. Fike and John W. Headley locate this first station site west of Salt Lake City nine miles south of the Salt Lake House. The station once stood on State Street in an area referred to as Lovendahl’s Corner. Some sources generally identify this first relay station as Trader’s Rest or Traveler’s Rest. The 1861 mail contract identified Trader’s Rest Station, where Absalom Smith managed station operations. After the Pony Express era, someone added wood siding and a false front to the adobe building to convert it into a business establishment. The building was also used as a garage prior to its destruction sometime before 1979.