The Emery LDS Church, built 1898-1900, is the oldest remaining religious building in Emery County. The construction technique, a wood frame sheathed with clapboard and lined with adobe bricks, is distinctive and unusual for turn-of-century Mormon churches. The building’s Greek Revival style is reflected in the symmetrical principal facade, cornice returns, transoms, and pedimented window heads.
This church was constructed under the direction of Bishop Alonzo Brinkerhoff. Services were held in the chapel upon its completion in 1900; the dedication was July 17, 1902 by Apostle Rudger Clawson. The church served the town of Emery until 1956 when a multi-purpose chapel was dedicated. In 1967 the building was purchased by the city for use as a town meeting and recreation hall.
There is a nearby monument with the bell that used to be in the tower, see this post.