Lindon Ward Chapel
400 North and Main Street in Lindon
The Lindon Ward Chapel, originally built for the Pleasant Grove 2nd Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was dedicated by Reed Smoot of the Council of the Twelve Apostles in 1891.
Construction of the chapel was a community effort. The property was donated by Joseph Wm. Ash. Every able-bodied man and boy contributed labor to the construction. Horses hauled clay from the foothills and pulled the mill to make adobes for the walls of the chapel.
In December 1890, construction was far enough along for a dance to be held. Proceeds from the dance were turned over to the building fund. Alfred E. Culmer, architect and project director, passed away before the final completion of the building. His funeral was the first to be held in the chapel.
The main hall contained two potbellied stoves— one in each corner. The benches ran the full width of the chapel with isles on each side. An upper gallery above the front door could be converted into a classroom by closing a set of curtains.
The chapel was torn down in 1941 with plans to build a new one. The iron fence on the north side of the property and several large pine trees remain.
Pingback: Lindon, Utah (Originally “Stringtown”) | JacobBarlow.com