In my exploring of the Utah and neighboring states I have come across many tithing offices, tithing barns, tithing granaries and more.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (sometimes called the L.D.S. Church or the Mormons) settled a large part of the areas here and members of the church would donate 10% of their increase to the church – they would also barter for what they needed, trade grain for eggs, etc. Now the members of the church donate with money, but at the time when donations were grain, eggs, chickens, cloth and more these buildings were needed to handle all of that. (see other tithing offices on this page)
This is the Pleasant Grove Tithing Office, located at 7 South 300 East in Pleasant Grove, Utah.
Built c. 1908, the Pleasant Grove Tithing Office is historically significant
as one of 28 well preserved tithing buildings in Utah that were part of the
successful “in kind” tithing system of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS or Mormon church) between the 1850s and about 1910. Tithing lots, which usually included an office and several auxiliary structures, were facilities for collecting, storing, and distributing the farm
products that were donated as tithing by church members in the cash-poor
agricultural communities throughout the state. Tithing offices were a vital
part of almost every Mormon community, serving as local centers of trade,
welfare assistance, and economic activity. They were also important as the
basic units of the church-wide tithing network that was centered in Salt Lake City.
The exact date of construction of the Pleasant Grove Tithing Office is not
known, but judging from its appearance and other circumstantial evidence it was probably built about 1908. Some of the basic features of this building,
its square block shape with a symmetrical facade and an arched central porch, are much like those found on the tithing offices in Manti, Panguitch,
Richmond, Sandy, and Hyrum, all of which were built between 1905 and 1910. The design of those buildings was one of at least three standard tithing office plans that were developed at church headquarters around 1905 and sent out to a number of wards in the state that requested to have a new tithing office built. Those plans were perhaps the first examples of what eventually became a policy with the church – developing standard building plans at church headquarters rather than having each ward generate its own. Although the Pleasant Grove Tithing Office has a flat roof and other minor features that distinguish it from the Type No. 3 design, the similarities between the two are sufficiently strong to suggest that they were built at about the same time.
The only other indications of when the tithing office might have been built
are contained in letters from the Presiding Bishopric’s Office in Salt Lake
City to Bishop Swen L. Swenson of the Pleasant Grove Ward. A letter of April 9, 1908 to Bishop Swenson stated that, “You are authorized to purchase hard wood shade trees and plant them around the [tithing] lot where needed.” The letter also granted approval for the purchase of water rights for the tithing lot. Similar improvements were made to tithing lots in other towns immediately after the completion of their new tithing offices, so it is reasonable to assume that the tithing office in Pleasant Grove was constructed in late 1907 or early 1908. The building was definitely built by at least the spring of 1909 when the local bishops were granted approval to have a telephone installed in the building.
Lewis W. and Lydia Brown Lund House
Constructed in 1905 for Lewis and Lydia Lund, this house replaced a small adobe dwelling which the Lunds had been living in since 1894. Mr. Lund was a prominent businessman, banker, livestockman, and one-time mayor of Pleasant Grove. He was well-known for his horse breeding business, which produced some of the best draft horses in the area. This two-story, brick, Victorian Eclectic style house is one of the several houses of this type which were built in Pleasant Grove between 1902 and 1908. The property retains its historic architectural integrity and is a contributing resource within the Pleasant Grove Historic District.
Fugal Blacksmith Shop
The Fugal Blacksmith Shop is one of the few remaining commercial blacksmith shops in Utah. Brothers Christian, Jens, and Niels Fugal began constructing the building in 1897 and completed it in 1903. Progress was delayed by the departure of Jens and Niels on two-year missions for the LDS Church. This new building replaced their smaller frame blacksmith shop located to the southeast (now demolished).
Blacksmith shops were important components of every Utah town. They provided horseshoes, wagon wheels, nails and other metal implements, in addition to repairing and sharpening farm machinery and tools. The Fugals developed other businesses as well, including the plumbing and contracting businesses in which Jens and Niels eventually specialized. By 1929, Chris was sole proprietor of the blacksmith shop. It was the only remaining shop in town at that time. Chris felt he had a natural aptitude for blacksmithing, and his skill and inventiveness were widely known and recognized. He continued his trade until just three weeks before his death in 1962. Many of the tools and equipment he used are still in the shop and in operable condition.
Pleasant Grove Town Hall
The Pleasant Grove Town Hall, built in 1887, replaced the city’s first town hall, which was a one-room log building. It was used as town hall building until 1940, when a third town hall building was built in the city. The Pleasant Grove Town Hall building was then used as a lunchroom for Pleasant Grove High School until 1949. Since that time, it has been used as the home of the Pleasant Grove First Baptist Church and the Pleasant Grove Public Library. Today it is home to Bliss Photo Studio and Boutique.It was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
Location: 107 S. 100 East, Pleasant Grove
Hyrum L. Clark Building
Hyrum L. Clark moved this small frame building, formerly Owen and Ren Halliday’s meat market, onto this location next to his general merchandise store, c.1920. He rented it to Ray Frampton and Sy Kemp, barbers, and a traditional barber’s pole was mounted to the south front of the building. In 1969, Joseph P. McRae purchased the building from H. Winfield Clark and continued the barber trade here.
- Historic Buildings in Pleasant Grove
- Pleasant Grove
- Pleasant Grove Main Street
- Old Photos of Pleasant Grove Main Street
George S. Clark House
This central passage Greek Revival style house was build for George S. and Susanah Dalley Clark c.1868. They had previously lived in an adobe house across the street. This twelve-room house is framed with 4x4s and was originally covered with wood siding, all obtained from nearby mountains. The recently installed aluminum siding approximates the appearance of the original siding. The two story porch originally spanned the width of the front facade but was modified prior to 1917.
As leader of the first settlers to the area, George wrote a letter of report to Brigham Young on the conditions of the new settlement and headed that letter “Pleasant Grove.” The name was later adopted by the community. George was the first bishop of the Pleasant Grove LDS Ward. He also started a prominent , long-lived mercantile business, Clark Bros. Susanah operated a millinery shop in Pleasant Grove and provided into the kitchen area. The house has remained in the Clark family, serving seven generations.
Site of Battle Between U.S. Army Soldiers and Ute Indians
See also: Civil War Skirmish at Pleasant Grove
This rock monument, built in 1930 on the 80th anniversary of the settling of Pleasant Grove, commemorates the Sunday morning of 12 April 1863 attack by Indians on Colonel Conners army troops. The battle occured outside the fort wall, and from within and near the John Green house, which was situated one block south of the wall, probably at this site.
On the afternoon of 13 September 1930, townspeople traveled by caravan to this and 5 other historic sites in town to hear a bugle call, brief histories of each site and band music at each stop. This appears to be the only existing monument left of the six erected in 1930.