The old historic Peteetneet School on a hill in Payson, Utah.
Prior to serving as a museum and cultural arts center, the Peteetneet School or Peteetneet Academy was erected in 1901. The architectural design combines both Victorian and Romanesque Revival architecture and was done by Richard C. Watkins, who designed many other schools through Utah and Sanpete counties. The Victorian belfry makes this school more flamboyant than other prominent schools designed by Watkins such as the Maeser School or Old Spring City School. The building served as an academy and then elementary school until 1989 when Payson City planned to demolish the building. A group of concerned citizens formed People Preserving Peteetneet and were instrumental in saving and restoring the school. Since the building is located on the Nebo Loop Scenic Byway, the Utah Department of Transportation awarded over $100,000 to assist in the restoration. The building was transformed into a museum and civic center. A glass elevator was added in 2008. The building has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since May 30, 1990.