The Great Salt Lake Base and Meridian Monument and Plaque, The stone was placed on August 3, 1847 when the original survey of “Great Salt Lake City” began.
The city streets where all surveyed and numbered from this point..
Fixed by Orson Pratt assisted by Henry G. Sherwood, August 3, 1847, when beginning the original survey of “Great Salt Lake City,” around the “Mormon” Temple site designated by Brigham Young July 23, 1847. The city streets were named and numbered from this point. David H. Burr, first U.S. Surveyor-General of Utah, located here in August 1855, the initial point of public land surveys in Utah, and set the stone monument, still preserved in position. An astronomical station, its stone base still standing 100 ft. N. and 50 ft. W. of this corner was established by George W. Dean, U.S.C.&G. survey, September 30, 1869, to determine the true latitude and longitude; it was used to obtain correct time at this point until December 30, 1897.
See other historic markers in the series on this page for UPTLA/SUP Markers.