Gates – McQuarrie House
This property was one owned by Jacob Gates, the 2nd mayor if St. George. Whether he constructed the Victorian house during his ownership (1876-1890) or it was built a little later, about 1893, by Hector & Ella McQuarrie is not certain.
What is known is that Ella rented some of the rooms to “drummers” (salesmen) travelling to St. George on business. Four of her six children were born here.