, , , ,


William’s Farm

Osmond M. Deuel, one of the first settlers in Centerville in 1848, purchased and farmed 40 acres at this location.  Osmond adopted Joseph E. Williams (1870-1947), whose parents died when he was eight years old.  After the death of Osmond Deuel in 1889, Joseph purchased the farm from the Deuel family.

Joseph’s son, Thomas Q. Williams (1901-1991), and his sons, Thomas Junior, Richard, and Emery, continued to operate the farm for many years.  In the early years, they raised vegetable crops.  About 1940, they began a dairy operation, milking up to 100 head of cows.  Along with the cows, they raised alfalfa and various grain crops.  The farm was operated until 1985.