The James and Mariah Cushing house in Historic Sandy was built c. 1891, is significant for its association with Sandy‘s historical development. The original house is a common example from the era. Its remodeling c. 1920, after being damaged by fire, is also significant. The house, originally a cross-wing, was rebuilt in the bungalow style, which was gaining national popularity and now reflects changing architectural tastes of the period.
The Cushings had immigrated to Utah in 1853 and raised eight children here. James participated in the rescue of the Martin handcart company, assisted in stringing the first telegraph wire through Salt Lake, and worked on the Salt lake Temple. After building this house, the Cushings lived the rest of their lives in it, surrounded by their children and grandchildren. In 1919 the house was sold to Thomas and Alice Davies. Thomas worked as a boiler maker on the railroad and then at the American Smelting and Refining Company in Murray. The Davies moved to Provo in 1927 and used the house as a rental until 1938.
Pingback: Ernest and Sadie Cushing House | JacobBarlow.com
Pingback: Historic Sandy | JacobBarlow.com