Tags

, , , , ,

2017-03-05 11.03.52

On June14, 1870, Levi Stewart, who had been called from Salt Lake County by President Brigham Young to head a group of pioneers in settling this area, brought a party with seven wagons from Pipe Spring, where they had camped temporarily, to Fort Kanab which had been built a year before by Jacob Hamblin and Indian missionaries.

Kanab Ward was organized September 11, 1878, with Elder Stewart as Bishop. Other settlers arrived, homes were built and plans made for a permanent community. A fire in the Fort on December 14, took the lives of Mrs. Margery Wilkerson Stewart and five sons.

SUP/UPTLA Marker # 115 Located in Levi Stewart Memorial Park in Kanab.

2017-03-05 11.03.46

Advertisements