Frank E. Moss Federal Courthouse
Salt Lake City Federal Building and Post Office
1902-1905, James Knox Taylor, Supervising Architect of the Treasury
After Utah became a state in 1896, the Federal Government began planning a building to house federal offices in Salt Lake City. The Treasury Department considered two sites for the building. After vocal opposition from many of Salt Lake City’s leading non-Mormon businessmen to a site offered by the LDS Church near Temple Square, the federal government purchased this site. Completed in 1905, this building was one of the earliest examples of Neoclassical style architecture in Utah. Originally serving as a combination post office, courthouse, and federal building, it became the anchor of the non-Mormon south downtown business district.
This is part of the Exchange Place Historic District.