James & Susan Langton House
This large, two-story house, constructed in 1908, is an unusually well-designed eclectic version of a four-square type house. The well-known Salt Lake City architect Bernard O. Mecklenburg combined elements of the Tudor and Classical styles in its design. Some of these features include a full-width front porch that is decorated with turned baluster and Tudor arched openings, and metal tile shingles on the roof. The original ten-room interior of the house was altered when it was converted into apartments in the 1930s – a common practice for larger residences in urban areas of that area.
James Langton, born in 1853, lived in Dodge City, Kansas, and was involved in the early Indian wars there. In 1889 he moved to Salt Lake City, drawn by the burgeoning mining industry. He eventually entered the lime and cement business, establishing his own company in 1894. This company became one of the leading wholesalers of these products in the state. Langton married Susan Ross, born in Rochester, New York, around 1897. James died in an auto accident in 1913 in Millcreek Canyon. Susan sustained serious injuries but recovered. Until her death, she shared the house with various married daughters at different times. She turned the house into apartments in 1937, two years prior to her death.
Located at 648 East 100 South in Salt Lake.
Architect designed homes are not uncommon in the Central City Historic District. The majority of such architect designed dwellings are found in the north portion of the district. Less activity by architects is present in the south portion of the district, although some architect designed residences do exist.
Bernard O. Mecklenberg designed the James and Susan R. Langton House at 648 East 100 South and constructed in 1908 (National Register). This house is an eclectic two story version of the Box Style house, with strong Prairie School influence. Architect Bernard O. Mecklenberg was also responsible for the design of several apartment buildings and homes; as well as the Cathedral of the Madelaine at 331 East South Temple Street (National Register). The Langtons were owners along with Susan Langton’s brother James W. Ross of the Langton Lime and Cement Company founded in 1894, which operated successfully for forty-five years. Langton Lime and Cement was one of the leading local wholesalers of lime and building materials in Salt Lake City. Kilns for the company were operated near Beck’s Hot Springs and in Millcreek Canyon. It was upon inspecting the Millcreek Canyon kilns in 1913 that James Langton died in a car accident in the canyon.
Susan continued to serve as treasurer for the Langton Lime and Cement company until her death in 1938. Susan maintained the house as a single family residence and in 1937 she converted part of the original ten rooms into six apartments leaving the remaining living space for herself. Mecklenberg also designed the craftsman style bungalow house located at 818 South 600 East.