The Crane Company constructed this building in 1910 to house the Salt Lake City branch of its internationally-known valve, engine, plumbing fixture, and heating system business. The company opened its Salt Lake branch in 1902, just a few years before many of the city’s first skyscrapers were constructed. Consequently, many of Salt Lake City’s most significant buildings were fitted with Crane supplies. As with other Crane Company buildings across the country, the company’s name is prominently featured in raised pediments and on a large neon sign on the roof. The Crane Building is relatively simple in style with modest ornamentation around the north entry and long the cornice.
The architect was Ware & Treganza.