, , , , , , ,

Standing out in the residential area of the Sugar House neighborhood is the Hyland Exchange Building, built in 1911 for the Mountain States Telephone & Telegraph Company for their phone operators it served that purpose until the 1940’s when automated phone dialing became possible.

In 1949 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints purchased it to be the Sugar House Bishop’s Storehouse and they manufactured shoes and did other sewing there as well.

When the building was built it was out on the edge of town but as the neighborhood grew it soon became almost considered downtown.