Hidden Hollow is a great nature park that has a creek flowing through it and walkways all around it with signs explaining history and geology.
Sugar House Monument
Sugar House Monument
Erected in recognition of the first effort made to manufacture beet sugar in Western America.
With dauntless perseverance through severe hardships the machinery was brought from Liverpool, Eng. To this place, where in 1853 the sugar mill was constructed.
May the spirit of this courageous venture continue to characterize this community.
The Old Sugar House
Home of one of the earliest efforts toward the creation of local industry in Utah.
At these crossroads in 1853-55, a structure was erected which stood for many years as a symbol of pioneer enterprise and courage. Its site was approximately two hundred feet east of this spot.
After the sugar project was abandoned, the old mill served many other useful purposes. Its life ended in 1928.
The Sugar House Mill: How Sugar House Got Its Name
This section of Parley’s Creek contributed to the creation of Sugar House as a thriving business district. Water from the creek powered a sugar mill near the corner of Highland Drive and 2100 South, which ultimately gave Sugar House its name. The mill was built in 1854 by pioneers hoping to produce white sugar from beets. The mill soon failed and by 1856 had been converted to the first paper mill successfully operated in the west. At one time, the Sugar Mill housed a machine shop for the Salt Lake and Utah Central Railway. It was later used as offices for Bamberger Coal Company until it was torn down in 1928.
S.U.P. Marker #39, Jordan & Salt Lake City Canal is located here too.
Utah Power – Southeast Substation
In 2004 Utah Power expanded the Southeast substation and the three houses shown below were removed. These homes were constructed by Kimball & Richards Building Company as part of the Highland Park Subdivision at a time when the population of Salt Lake City was approximately 93,000.
By 2004, the Salt Lake City population had increased to nearly 179,000, increasing the demand for electricity and necessitating the expansion of the Southeast substation. Prior to their removal, members of the Sugarhouse community were invited to salvage items from the bungalows such as bricks, doors, windows, moldings, flooring, light fixtures, etc.
Utah Light & Railway Company
In 1911, Utah Light and Railway Company constructed this power distribution substation on the present site. The building was the finest of its kind for the times and cost in excess of $20,000.00.
The southeast substation became one of six distribution transformer stations in the Utah Light and Railway (later Utah Light and Traction Company) power system, all of which were leased in 1915 to Utah Power and Light Company, which had been organized three years earlier for the purpose of consolidating the numerous small independent electric companies then operating in Utah. Utah Power and Light Company subsequently utilized the southeast substation as the tie-in point at which the system of Provo-based Knight Consolidated Power Company was integrated with that of Utah Light and traction Company.
The southeast substation by the 1930’s was the largest such facility in the Utah Light and traction portion of Utah Power and Light’s distribution system.
Although the origins of Westminster College date back to the establishment of the Salt Lake Collegiate Institute on April 12, 1875, Converse Hall, constructed in 1906, was the first building erected on the campus of Westminster College. The building was designed by architect Walter E. Ware and named for John Converse, president of the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, who donated 20,000 dollars of the 27,000 dollar costs of the building. As the first building on campus, it served many functions including the boys dormitory, administration offices, assembly hall, chemistry lab, lecture hall, classrooms and library. It currently houses administrative and faculty offices, classrooms and a lounge theater.
The school was founded in 1875 as the Salt Lake Collegiate Institute, a prep school under the supervision of the First Presbyterian Church of Salt Lake City. The church’s first building was the college until the congregation grew to 500 members and that building was moved (see this page).
The college changed its name to “Westminster College” in 1902 to better reflect a more general Protestant education. The name is derived from the Westminster Confession of Faith, a Presbyterian confession of faith, which, in turn, was named for the district of London where it was devised. The University of Westminster, London is a separate higher education institution in the United Kingdom and is not affiliated with Westminster College.
Sugar House is a neighborhood in Salt Lake City. It is one of the city’s oldest neighborhoods and the name is officially two words. Sugar House is the site of Westminster College.
Sugar House is located within the Salt Lake City grid system. According to the Community Council, it runs from 500 East to Foothill Drive and north to south from 1300 South to the city limits about 3000 South. According to Salt Lake City’s master plan, it runs from 500 East to Parleys Way and 2000 East and from 1700 South to the city limits about 3000 South. Many local businesses as well as private residences, although not strictly located within the bounds of Sugar House, use the name because of the area’s name recognition. The business and commercial center of the neighborhood is located at 1100 East 2100 South which is also the northern end terminus of Highland Drive, where it turns into 1100 East.
Sugar House was established in 1853, six years after Brigham Young led the Latter-Day Saint settlers into the valley. Its name derives from the sugar beet test factory of the Deseret Manufacturing Company, which was established in a former blacksmith shop in the area with the assistance of Jersey-born convert Philip DeLaMare. The name came as a suggestion from Margaret McMeans Smoot, the wife of then mayor of Salt Lake City, Abraham O. Smoot.
Sugar House Prison, the first Utah state prison, was located in Sugar House during the 19th century and early 20th century. The prison was closed in 1951 and moved to Draper. All of the buildings were torn down and the land was converted into Sugar House Park and Highland High School. In 1928, at the dedication ceremony of the Sprague Library, Mayor John F. Bowman suggested Sugar House from then on be referred to as “South East Salt Lake City.” This suggestion was rejected.
Sugar House Park, (sometimes mistakenly called Sugarhouse Park) is located between I-80, 2100 South, 1300 East, and 1700 East in the Sugar House neighborhood of Salt Lake City, Utah, United States. The 110-acre park is at the heart of the Sugar House neighborhood and is the site of a fireworks show and concert every Independence Day (July 4th) and a popular sledding location in the winter.
The park was the location of Sugar House Prison, Utah’s first state prison, until 1951 when the current prison was opened in Draper.