271 C Street
This two-and-one-half story Victorian Eclectic style house was built by James D. Adams in 1891 for Clarence E. Allen, an attorney. However, Adams lived here until Allen sold the house to Lorenzo Snow, Jr., in 1900. After several short-term owners and a decade of rental use, Hermann Wullstein purchased the house in 1910. A blacksmith and master mechanic for Utah Copper Company, Wullstein lived here with his wife, Mary Neiman Wullstein, until his death in 1934.
Perhaps based on a pattern book design, this “rectangular block” house type was not uncommon during the era of Victorian styles in Utah, from about 1880 to 1910. The bay window supported on a solid arching bracket, the gable-end shingles, the front transoms with decorative border lights, and the classically detailed porch with sunburst patterns reflect the fact that Victorian Eclectic was an amalgam of styles and elements rather than a distinct style. Recently restored, this historic frame house contributes to the architectural character and continuity of the Avenues Historic District.
Interesting history compiled by Rachel Quist:
In April 1898 the Rescue Home for “fallen women” rented this house.
Within the next 10 months the Rescue Home had 20 applicants, 5 births, 1 death, 1 marriage, 7 women placed in suitable outside homes, and 2 children were taken to the orphanage.
Neighbors on C Street objected to the Rescue Home and in Sept 1899 they petitioned the SLC Council to have the home removed and stop financial support. Thomas A. Horne, who lived just north at 277 C St, was the primary objector who complained “the women are boisterous, they make noise…and they sing indecent songs. They contaminate the children.”
Not wishing to antagonize the neighbors on C Street, the Rescue Home soon signed a 3-month lease on a larger house at 54 S 1200 East from owner Judge Loofbourow. The neighborhood soon made vigorous objections and Judge Loofbourow cancelled the lease without notifying the Rescue Home first.
In Nov 1899 the Rescue Home found another house in Sugar House area and paid 4 months rent in advance. University of Utah Professor Byron Cummings (Football & Archaeology) led the objection citing the 35 children in the neighborhood. The Rescue Home was given 3 months to vacate.
Frustrated that “respectable communities” disallowed the Rescue Home they looked for a new location in the “slums” of Commercial Street (now Regent St) but they could not find a suitable location, likely due to the high rents that the brothels and other businesses could pay.
After months of looking for a new location, the Rescue Home’s Board of Directors decided that to continue the work would be useless and the entire board resigned in Feb 1900.
A new board was established who vowed to continue the work and even secured additional locations. University of Utah Art Professor Edwin Evans led the protest against the 1458 S 1300 East location in March 1900.
Even after the Rescue Home closed itself to prostitutes and only allowed “reformable” women the neighbors protested so vigorously that the location at 51 S 800 E was also abandoned.
By Jan 1902 the whole organization was turned over to the Salvation Army who operated similar homes throughout the country with much success…. except in SLC.