Clyde Ranch, at Cow Hollow in Juab County, Utah
One of many letters on hillsides in the western states, this large, white block letter Q is above Henderson, Nevada and is for Quinton Robbins who was killed along with 58 others in the mass shooting in Las Vegas in 2017.
It was put near the letter B for Basic High School.
There had been trouble with Indians in the south and central section of the territory, so an edict came out from Brigham Young that each town should build a fort for protection. Early in the spring of 1854 Jesse W. Fox, Church Surveyor, came to Kay’s Ward for the purpose of laying out the fort, which was later to become the center section of the town, about midway between the two main roads. It encompassed approximately 15 square blocks, between what is now Main Street and 600 West and 200 North and 100 South. The Spanish adobe wall was to be built of clay (dug from the outside forming a ditch) which was shoveled by hand into lumber forms. The plan of the wall was five feet at the base, tapering to three feet at the top, with a height of six feet. Each able-bodied man would be assigned to build a certain section of the wall himself or hire it done. Only part of the project was ever finished and that was on the south and west sides. The entrance to the fort was located about where Barnes Bank now stands.*
1925 to 1983
Harding School was named after President Warren G. Harding. Classes started August 1925 with George Fox as the first principal. It was used as an elementary school until May 1968 when Principal James L. Jensen called classes to order for the last time. Price City purchased the property and converted the school into a fire station and multi-use center in 1968. It was torn down in 1983 to make way for the Price City Public Safety Building.
Dedicated July 14, 1984 By Utah Outpost Mountain Charlie Chapter No. 1850 E Clampus Vitus
This monument is located at 87 North 200 East in Price, Utah
1021 West 800 North in Provo, Utah
The chapel in Beaver Dam, Utah was built in 1898.
The Founders’ Rescue Wagon
Faced with the Herculean challenge of deep, early winter snows and a legal deadline to complete the first building for the Branch Normal School within eight months, the founders of Southern Utah University pursued this seemingly impossible goal with inspired determination.
On the morning of January 5, 1898, a party left Cedar City for the Heber Jenson Saw Mill, located at Mammoth Creek on Cedar Mountain, some 30 miles from the campus. The group intended to haul out 15,000 board feet of lumber that had been cut and left at the mill the previous fall – lumber which would be used to construct the framework of Old Main. After three grueling days on the trail, the men managed to reach the mill and load their wagons; but heavy snows forced them to abandon the precious lumber.
In danger of surrendering for good the right to host the school, five men remained on the mountain to dig out the wagons while the others returned to town to stock up on provisions and enlist additional help. Digging foot by foot through the drifts, the men worked their steady way home – and on January 11, the wagons arrived in Cedar City with the first load of lumber. The Branch Normal School had been rescued.
This original wagon, recently restored, was used to haul logs from the forest to the saw mill, and was among several that saved the school for the people of Cedar City. Its design points to its use in handling heavy logs in winter conditions, with its protected hubs and spokes, its heavier running gear, and its braking system, which allowed the driver to perch on the logs and operate the brake by foot pedal while leaving his hands free to manage the teams.
This vivid reminder of the Founders’ courage and sacrifice was donated to the Cedar City Chapter of the Sons of Utah Pioneers by the Jack Jenson family, and then by SUP to Southern Utah University. Preservation and restoration work was completed by Blaine Allan of SUP.