Clinton is a city in Davis County. It is part of the Ogden–Clearfield, Utah Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 12,585 at the 2000 census, while the 2008 estimates placed it at 19,855. Clinton grew rapidly during the 1990s and continues to see rapid growth.
Dry farming began in the area of Clinton in 1879. By 1881 there was a railroad station. In 1884 a branch of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized in Clinton named the Summit Basin Branch.
A ward was organized in Clinton in May 1897, which was named Clinton.
In 1870, the Wm. J. Hill, Chauncey Hadlock families built homes in this area. Culinary water was brought from Weber River in barrels until the Fife Community Irrigation Ditch was finished. D.P. Davis, first school teacher, charged $5.00 per child. Other firsts: Peter Terry’s Spring; Maren J. Mitchell, Midwife; John Bruce, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Sunday School Supt. Early landowners: Mark A. Child, John Muir, Wm. E. Stokes, James Burnett, Mark Elmer.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup