• About JacobBarlow.com
  • Cemeteries in Utah
  • D.U.P. Markers
  • Doors
  • Exploring Utah Email List
  • Geocaching
  • Historic Marker Map
  • Links
  • Movie/TV Show Filming Locations
  • Oldest in Utah
  • Other Travels
  • Photos Then and Now
  • S.U.P. Markers
  • U.P.T.L.A. Markers
  • Utah Cities and Places.
  • Utah Homes for Sale
  • Utah Treasure Hunt

JacobBarlow.com

~ Exploring with Jacob Barlow

JacobBarlow.com

Tag Archives: Elmo

Desert Lake

07 Saturday Jan 2017

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ 2 Comments

Tags

Cleveland, Desert Lake, Elmo, Emery County, utah

1981
In Memory of
Charles William “Bill” Winder and Caroline Elizabeth Mills

William was the 1st boy born in Desert Lake, Utah, June 28, 1888, to Charles Henry Winder & Helen Pilling. Grandparents: Thomas Harrison Winder & Hannah Shreeve, John Pilling & Sarah Bedford. He died Jan. 9, 1978.

Caroline was born in Ferron, Utah, Feb. 2, 1887 to Henry George Mills & Eliza Ann Horsley. Grandparents: George Henery Mills & Caroline Boxall, John Pickett Horsley & Francis Jane Mills. She died Jan. 6, 1950.

Both buried in Cleveland, Utah

Married Dec. 20, 1906

Sarah Bedford & John Pilling came to Utah with the 9th Handcart Co. in 1860. John Pickett Horsley came to Utah with the 1st ox-team about 1852. William and Caroline home-steaded 160 acres on Cedar Mt., Utah; Sec. 12 N 1, Township 19 50, Range 11 E, 1910-1920. They also home-steaded 80 acres surrounding this area; S 1/4 NE 1/4, NW 1/4 SE 1/4 – Section 10, Township 17, 50 of Range 10 E, S.L. Meridian, 1910-1920. They were the parents of 14 children: Aletha, Verl, Mildred, Ada, Arnold, Baby brother buried on Cedar Mt., Angues, Euceen, deceased, Harold, Zina, Philip, twins – Floyd and stillborn baby sister, Levan Dale.

MEMORIES FOREVER.

In 1885, several families moved from the town of Cleveland, Utah to an area they called Desert Lake, and built a 500-foot (150 m) embankment dam to impound a 300-acre irrigation reservoir.[3] In 1896, the dam broke, causing significant damage.The LDS Church provided $1000 to rebuild the dam, and also to extend a ditch to Cleveland.

The 1900 United States Census reported Desert Lake’s population at 127. Six years after the Census was taken, in 1906, the Desert Lake area was surveyed. An LDS church, a general store, several frame homes, and a school were constructed. The general store also served as the town’s post office.

A problem throughout the valley occurred as farmers irrigated land, which dropped the water table and caused alkali in the soil to rise. The alkaline soil eroded adobe structures and caused many crops to fail. As the alkali in the soil concentrated, the residents of Desert Lake moved about 6 miles away and founded the town of Victor. A few log homes make up what’s left of the town of Desert Lake.

Castle Dale, Utah

14 Thursday Aug 2014

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ 4 Comments

Tags

Castle Dale, Elmo, Emery County, Huntington, Lawrence, Orangeville, utah

20140810_162109
castledale

Castle Dale, the seat of Emery County government, is located on Cottonwood Creek in Castle Valley, a region of benchlands and river valleys bounded by the Wasatch Plateau to the west and the striking buttes, mesas, and canyons of the San Rafael Swell to the east. The high plateau barrier and the ruggedness of the Castle Valley landscape delayed settlement of the region until the late 1870s, when population growth and expanding livestock herds in Utah’s central valleys stimulated a search for new agricultural and grazing lands. In 1875, brothers Orange Seely and Justus Wellington Seely, Jr., first brought the Mount Pleasant cooperative cattle and sheep herds to winter on Cottonwood Creek. On 22 August 1877 Brigham Young issued a formal call for settlers to locate in Castle Valley, the last such directive from the “Great Colonizer” before his death on 29 August. Orange Seely was appointed LDS bishop of the entire region east of the Wasatch Plateau, including present-day Emery, Carbon, and Grand counties. Local tradition describes Bishop Seely as a man of immense girth who made his pastoral rounds riding one mule and leading another laden with staple food items to be distributed to needy families, blacksmith tools for the shoeing of horses and sharpening of plowshares, and dental forceps to remove aching teeth.

The 1880 census found 237 people residing on homesteads strung along more than six miles (10 km) of Cottonwood Creek. In that year two townsites were surveyed, one known as Upper Castle Dale and the other as Lower Castle Dale. In 1882 Upper Castle Dale took the name Orangeville in honor of Orange Seely, even though he resided in the lower town. The two communities, only three miles apart, have had closely related histories, but Castle Dale has been home to the main public institutions.

Related Posts:

  • Castle Dale CCC Camp
  • Early Settlers of Emery County
  • First Settlers in Castle Dale
  • Castle Dale posts sorted by address

Lawrence, Utah

13 Wednesday Aug 2014

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ Leave a comment

Tags

Cleveland, Elmo, Emery County, Huntington, Lawrence, utah

20140810_155346

Built in late 1890’s as a Mormon farming community, a Post office and Churh were built, the church was demolished in the 50’s. the town was named after Lawrence Staker, sometimes called “Stakerville.” and was a hiding spot for Butch Cassidy after the Castle Gate holdup.

 

 

 

Elmo, Utah

12 Tuesday Aug 2014

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ 3 Comments

Tags

Elmo, Emery County, utah

  • picture16sep07-013

Elmo is a small, dispersed agricultural community east of U-10 and eight miles north of Huntington. Elmo was settled in 1908 by people from Cleveland, although it was filed upon as early as 1904. The origin of the name is uncertain, but folklore suggests a reference to a popular novel of the day, St. Elmo.

Elmo Posts:

  • Desert Lake
  • First Public Building
  • Tithing Granary
  • 20140810_120449
  • 20140810_121101
  • 20140810_121448
  • 20140810_121456
  • 20140810_121520
  • 20140810_121722

Tithing Granary

05 Thursday Jun 2014

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ 2 Comments

Tags

DUP, Elmo, Emery County, historic, utah

picture16sep07-017

D.U.P. Marker # 351 is located in Elmo, Utah.

Before 1890 Thomas E. Davis filed on land in this vicinity. Others followed, erected homes, a schoolhouse and meeting place. June 16, 1912, a branch of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized, George H. Oviatt presiding elder. This tithing granary was built by ward members with George Hales and James Johnson, head carpenters. The walls were made of laminated two-by-four planks. The granary was presented to the Daughters in 1964.

picture16sep07-016

Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup

First Public Building

04 Wednesday Jun 2014

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ 1 Comment

Tags

DUP, Elmo, Emery County, historic, utah

In 1908 the townsite of Elmo was laid out.  Each summer a bowery was erected east of this site where social events were held.  In 1911 a group of men purchased the Cleveland schoolhouse, dragged it with teams and logs to the bowery lot. It was rebuilt and used for school, church and other gatherings. George H. Oviatt was named first L.D.S. Bishop June 10, 1913. In 1926 the original owners presented the building to the church. It was razed in 1957.

  • picture16sep07-015
  • picture16sep07-014

Follow Jacob

Follow Jacob

Blog Stats

  • 2,009,548 hits

Social and Other Links

BarlowLinks.com

Recent Posts

  • G.W. Thatcher Home
  • Fort Douglas Commanders House
  • Herbert B. Maw Home
  • Marriner S. Eccles Home
  • William and Grace Ebaugh Home

Archives

 

Loading Comments...