John Marriott and Susannah Fowkes Marriott Home Site
In the 1850s, John Marriott and Susannah Houghton Fowkes established a homestead near this site. They lived in a covered wagon while they made an earthen dugout for shelter. John later constructed the settlement’s first permanent log cabin. He was a farmer and also worked on the Central Pacific route of the first Transcontinental Railroad. John practiced polygamy, having five wives and thirty-five children. His wives, in order of marriage, were Susannah Houghton Fowkes, Elizabeth Stewart, Teresa Southwick, Margaret Burton, and Catherine Vaughan Evans. In 1890, polygamy ended as Utah sought statehood. Margaret Burton remained with John until his death in 1899.
Marriott-Slaterville City Historical Marker historical marker #5, located at 1359 West 700 South in Marriott-Slaterville, Utah
J. Willard Marriott Birthplace
John Willard Marriott was born near this site on September 17, 1900. He was the second of eight children born to Hyrum Willard Marriott and Ellen Morris. As a youth he worked the family farm and sheep ranch. He loved the open spaces of Marriott Settlement and the grandeur of the Rockies. After completing an LDS mission to the eastern states, he graduated from Weber Academy, taught at the academy, and graduated from the University of Utah. In 1927, he married Alice Sheets and moved to the Washington D.C. area. At this time, he also secured a franchise for A&W Root Beer and expanded his business. For the next 58 years, until his death in August 1985, J. Willard Marriott built his dream with his sons, Bill and Dick. Marriott International continues today as one of the most admired companies in the world. J.W. Marriott summed up his personal philosophy: “take part in the things that go on in this wonderful world… live life and make every day count to the very end.”
Marriott-Slaterville City Historical Marker historical marker #4, located at 1209 West 700 South in Marriott-Slaterville, Utah
Defense Depot Ogden
Around 1940, approximately 1,139 acres from the pioneer settlements of Marriott, Harrisville, and Slaterville were condemned and seized by the United States for a military base. Broom’s Bench was demolished, Butler’s Pond was filled, and some fifty families lost their homes and were forced to relocate. The military installation built to the east operated under various names: Utah General Depot, Utah Army Forces Supply Depot, and Defense Depot Ogden. During World War II part of the site served as an internment camp for German and Italian soldiers. Defense Depot Ogden was closed in the late 1990s, and the property was turned over to Ogden City which now operates Business Depot Ogden.
Marriott-Slaterville City Historical Marker historical marker #13, located at 397 North 1200 West in Marriott-Slaterville, Utah
Marriott and Slaterville were unincorporated pioneer settlements in Weber County until the late 1990s. Initially, the citizens of Marriott and Slaterville voted to create Marriott Township and Slaterville Township under the jurisdiction of Weber County, Annexation concerns grew from the closure of Defense Depot Ogden. Then, the state legislature suddenly stripped away township border protection, so, in 1998, residents of the two townships voted overwhelmingly to merge together, Marriott-Slaterville City was officially incorporated on July 1, 1999.
Historic Pioneer Road
Pioneer Road connected the historical community of Slaterville east to west. This winding country road was constructed by early pioneers. The road was lined with 19th century and early 20th century homes, along with thriving farms. The Allred, Holley, Knight, Powell, Slater, Smout, Wardell, and Wheeler families were some of the earliest Slaterville pioneer settlers.
Marriott-Slaterville City Historical Marker historical marker #11, located at 2060 West Pioneer Road in Marriott-Slaterville, Utah
In 1868, the first Marriott School was constructed of logs on the corner of 12th Street and 1200 West. Later a brick school building was constructed on this site and operated by Weber School District. The school went through several renovations until it was demolished in the early 1940s. The land was then donated to the Marriott Ward. In 2007, the land was gifted to Marriott-Slaterville City as a perpetual park. The bowery and playground were reconstructed by Marriott-Slaterville City.
Richard & Ann Slater Home
Richard Slater and Ann Corbridge were immigrants from England. Richard served in the Mormon Battalion before relocating his family to Utah as part of the early pioneer movement. In 1852, he acquired land in Slaterville and constructed an adobe home for his wife and twelve children. In approximately 1898, he constructed this brick home on Pioneer Road. This home is typical of the architecture of the late 19th Century. Richard Slater is the namesake of the Slaterville settlement. He served in a variety of community and ecclesiastical leadership positions.