Palmyra was founded in 1852 on the banks of the Spanish Fork River. The town soon became absorbed into the city of Spanish Fork. Present-day Palmyra is a later out-growth of Spanish Fork. Both Palmyra’s were named for Palmyra, New York, a town prominent in early Mormon history.
Check out the old historic marker at the site of the old fort here.