This Monument marks the South-West corner of Fort Palmyra. This Fort was built by the settlers for protection. Palmyra was selected in 1852 as a suitable place to build a city by Apostle Geo. A. Smith. The first home was built in August of that year. W.W. Willis was its first Mayor. The first bishop was Stephen Markam. Silas Hillman was the first school teacher. Upon advice from President Brigham Young, the settlers of Palmyra moved to Spanish Fork, in 1856.
This marker was placed in 1933 and the D.U.P. didn’t start numbering their historic markers until 1934 so it is not in the numbered list.