The isolated trails between Boulder and Escalante, Utah, were important in the history of the two towns. The foot trail, used by Indians for centuries, connected the two areas and was known as the Death Hollow Trail. Mules, horses, or people traversed this steep and dangerous area.
In 1902 a contract at $200 per year by the U.S. Postal Service was given to James Schow for the twice-weekly mail delivery over the shorter Indian trail. He used two to ten mules to carry mail, medicine, and occasional travelers. This Old Boulder Mail Trail left Escalante, crossed the creek, and climbed the hill on the white rocks seen just above the dark ridge. In some places steps were cut into the rocks. At the top of the hill, going was easier across the Antone Flat, then became more perilous at the famous descent into Death Hollow. The trail crossed Mamie Creek and Sand Creek, then arrived at New Home Bench where mail for Salt Gulch was left in a wooden box nailed to a tree.
In 1910 the U.S. Forest Service ran a telephone line along the trail to Boulder, attaching the wires to rocks and trees. Some of the glass insulators can still be seen in the treetops. In 1924 Parcel Post became available, and the mules carried in sewing machines, boots, pots, pans, machine parts, and cans of cream which were sent on to the creamery.
In the early 1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps built better roads, and when the Hell’s Backbone Bridge was completed, this mail trail was unnecessary. The trail was still a shortcut and was often used by young men hurrying to a dance in either town. This monument is a tribute to those who endured the trail.