Spanish Fork had its beginning in two sites, the upper settlement in 1850-1851, located in the southeast river bottoms, the other at Palmyra, 1851. Fearful of Indian trouble settlers built an adobe fort between the two places in 1854, located two blocks south of this site, with walls two feet thick and twenty feet high. Homes were built inside the fort with portholes in each compartment. A well in the center provided water. The only entrance was a gate four feet thick and sixteen feet high.