Daughters of Utah Pioneers
Erected June 1, 1935
The Spanish Fork Indian Farm Reservation Comprising twenty square miles and extending from the state highway and the Spanish Fork River to Utah Lake, was set apart in 1854 by Brigham Young, Utah Supt. of U.S. Indian Affairs. Joseph E. Beck was appointed farm superintendent. Dr. Garland Hurt succeeded Brigham Young in 1855, and erected a trading post 60 rods north of this spot. Col. O. H. Irish succeeded Dr. Hurt, and in 1865 made a treaty here with 15 Indian chiefs whereby the Indians surrendered their title and in 1867 moved to the Uintah Basin.
Stephen Markham Camp – – – Utah County”
Here are some more photos from May 2016:
The monument is at N 40.09834 W 111.69387, which is in Leland (west of Spanish Fork) where River Lane meets Highway 115 (900 S in Spanish Fork, 7300 S in the county.)
The trading post was 1000 feet north of there, so approximately at N 40.10113 W 111.69360