The Manti Pioneers under the direction of Bishop Isaac Morley, 224 Pioneers, arrived in this vicinity November 22, 1849 in response to an invitation from Indian Chief Walker to President Brigham Young. Their first homes were dugouts in the south side of Temple Hill. That winter heavy snows, loss of animals, famine and serious Indian trouble taxed their endurance. The following spring, they found they had settled in a rattlesnake den. Hundreds of reptiles were killed. The city of Manti was surveyed and named in 1850.
Erected June 17, 1938
Manti Camp D.U.P.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup