A canal was surveyed from Johnson Creek on Blue Mountain to White Mesa; in 1902-3 lots were staked for homes. Two years later Albert R. Lyman and family pitched first tent and settled one block west of this site. In 1907 a tent school was established. Population increased by families from Bluff and refugees from Mexico. Called “Grayson” Postal Service changed the name to “Blanding” in 1915. Last Indian uprising of frontier west occurred here in 1923. Death of Ute Chief “Old Posey” ended the trouble. This bell rang for church, school, fires, and other occasions.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup