Near this spot in 1865 a rock fort was built as a protection from Indians. It was a cooperative project. Each man who owned a city lot built one rod of the wall which was 3 l/2 feet at base, 12 feet high, 1 foot at top. There were portholes at intervals, wooden gates on east side. Men stood guard at all times. They gave signals, using a white flag by day and a drum by night. After 1878 the bell atop this monument hung in Academy Hall. It rang for church, school, and other occasions.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup