In 1859, this area was resettled permanently by families of James Allred, Wm. Black, James Ellis, a large Danish colony of gifted craftsmen and stonemasons, and others. They surveyed the land, raised abundant crops, and became known as the breadbasket of Utah; built substantial homes and chapel of oolite stone, quarried south of town. The fort built west of the chapel in 1858 was burned by Indians, 1854. Town was incorporated, named Spring City 1870, John R. Baxter, Mayor.