The Joseph Olpin House, which replaced a one-room log house, was constructed in two phases, beginning with a two-room adobe house in 1867 (making it one of Utah’s oldest). In 1875, the vernacular Classical-style two-story soft-rock section was added to the front, creating a new primary facade. Joseph, a skilled stonemason, built this house and several other stone houses in Pleasant Grove.
Joseph and his wife, Ann, moved to Pleasant Grove in 1867 and received this property as payment for construction of a house for Joseph Wadley, his brother in law. Joseph died of Rocky Mountain fever in 1880; Ann continued living here until her death in 1893. Albert Henry Olpin, their youngest son, inherited the house and lived here with his wife, Alvira, and eight children. Albert was a carpenter who added many custom touches to the interior wood-work of the house. He also rebuilt the small brick section at the rear c. 1910. Albert passed away in 1923, and Alvira continued to live here until 1950, when she moved in with a daughter, but the house remained in the family for several years after her death in 1958.