Established as the Post of Beaver, May 25, 1872, by 8th U.S. Infantry, Major John D. Wilkins, commanding. The military reservation, declared May 12, 1873, comprised two and two-thirds square miles. The name was changed July 1, 1874, to Fort Cameron, in honor of Colonel James Cameron who fell at Bull Run, July 21, 1861. The post was abandoned May 1, 1883, and the improvements sold to John R. Murdock and Philo T. Farnsworth. The L.D.S. Church conducted there the Beaver Branch of the Brigham Young Academy (later University) from 1898 to 1922.