Fred R. and Mary J. Taylor House
589 East Center Street, Provo, Utah
Fred R. Taylor and Mary J. Taylor built this home in 1927. Fred Taylor was a prominent pediatrician in Provo, and served as “city physician” during the early 1900s, giving advice to the mayor on issues affecting public health.
From 1945 to 1947, this home was owned by lumberman, church and civic leader William Addison Spear. From 1950 to 1958, the property was held by the Arthur D. Sutton family. Mr. Sutton was a well-known druggist and theater/apartment house manager.
This home is a good example of the English Tudor Revival, which was popular in Utah between 1915 and 1935. The residence has its main entry in a recessed western wing barely visible from the street. Its broad, gable rood faces est, while the main rood plain faces front, relieved by a massive, two story chimney and a large gabled roof dormer. The rood pitch is steep, the walls plastered and the windows glazed in small panes. The home and matching garage are unaltered and good examples of their style.
For other historic homes in Provo click here.